Blueberry Season Begins
June 26, 2015
The end of June marks the beginning of Blueberry Season in BC! These little gems (affectionately referred to as “nature’s candy”) pack a nutrientdense punch along with their great flavour. Here are just a few of the health benefits of blueberries:
- They have been linked to lowering blood pressure, as well as protecting the cardiac muscle during a heart attack, and repairing damaged heart muscle.
- Research has shown that they can improve insulin response, resulting in lower blood glucose levels and reduced abdominal fat.
- A recent study indicates some types of agerelated memory loss might not just be prevented but actually reversed by consuming blueberries
- Blueberries have also been linked to possibly treating Parkinson’s disease
- Studies have shown a link between blueberries and reduced growth of breast cancer, and colon cancer cells.